6.22 - Partings (131) (May 9th, 2006)
Air Date: May 9th, 2006
Written by: Daniel Palladino & Amy Sherman-Palladino
Directed by: Amy Sherman-Palladino
Tuesday, May 9
Gilmore Girls (8:00 - 9:00 pm ET)
"Partings - SEASON FINALE" ((TV-PG, D, L) (HDTV))
LOVE TAKES A PAINFUL TURN FOR BOTH LORELAI AND RORY AS STARS HOLLOW IS INVADED BY TROUBADOURS Stars Hollow is suddenly overrun with troubadours when news gets out that the towns regular street performer (Grant-Lee Phillips) has been discovered. On the evening of Logans (Matt Czuchry) graduation from Yale, Rory (Alexis Bledel) throws him a wild party, but the knowledge that he is being forced to leave for London the next day makes their time together bittersweet. Meanwhile, at a Friday night dinner, Emily (Kelly Bishop) and Richard (Edward Herrmann) attempt to set Christopher (David Sutcliffe) up with an attractive young woman (guest star Melora Hardin). Finally, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) decides she was wrong to let Luke (Scott Patterson) postpone their wedding for so long and delivers a tearful ultimatum. Musical guests include Sonic Youth, Sam Phillips, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Yo La Tengo, Sparks, Joe Pernice and Dave Gruber Allen. Melissa McCarthy and Sean Gunn also star. The episode was written by Amy Sherman-Palladino & Daniel Palladino and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino
TVGuide description for 6.22
In the sixth-season finale, Lorelai tries to avoid Luke and ends up pouring her heart out to a psychologist (Melora Hardin) who was invited to dinner at her parents' house. Elsewhere, Rory tries to avoid the Huntzbergers, particularly Mitchum, as she attends Logan's graduation and prepares for his inevitable departure; and Taylor's bothered by an influx of troubadours to Stars Hollow. Mary Lynn Rajskub, Sam Phillips, Grant Lee Phillips, Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Sparks and Joe Pernice appear.
May 9, Season Finale!
Stars Hollow is suddenly overrun with troubadours when news gets out that the town's regular street performer (Grant-Lee Phillips) has been discovered. On the evening of Logan's graduation from Yale, Rory throws him a wild party, but the knowledge that he is being forced to leave for London the next day makes their time together bittersweet. Meanwhile, at a Friday night dinner, Emily and Richard attempt to set Christopher up with an attractive young woman. Finally, Lorelai decides she was wrong to let Luke postpone their wedding for so long and delivers a tearful ultimatum. Musical guests include Sonic Youth, Sam Phillips, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Yo La Tengo, Sparks, Joe Pernice and Dave Gruber Allen.
- NEW - We'll hear in the finale why she really proposed and her thoughts in that moment. - Temp-FF
- Ausiello has seen the final episode and Cheryl posted the info on FanForum, Lorelai says "I Love You" to Luke for the first time on screen, TWICE!. There is a 3 minute monologue in the diner with Luke before the break-up. He said the episode would have been good "Had AS-P gone a little lighter on Taylor and the troubadours and excised that unfortunate final scene you may have heard something about it probably would have been a great episode." More info to comes Wednesday - Cheryl-FF
- Chris is in boxers only when the robe drops in the final sceen, not a good JJs ending to the season - FF
- On a flight from CA to VA zoobymoo had an "interview" with Lauren Graham, she said a lot and believes that Luke and Lorelai will be together in the end and the new show runner has the same vission as ASP. (The post is NOT to be copied and posted else where.) - zoobymoo-FF
- Warner Bros released a statement that Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino have decided not to stay with the show next season. The new show runner will be Dave Rosenthal, Aussiello TV Guide
- Lorelai give Luke a "tearful ultimatum" - KTLA
- A number of bands/performers will be in the final including Sonic Youth, Sam Phillips, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Yo La Tengo, Sparks, Joe Pernice and DaveGruber Allen.
- Sam Phillips sings "Taking Pictures" in the final - Sam Phillips website.
- Genevieve has posted a report on her latest trip to the Warner Studio's. No big spoilers, the dinner table in the Gilmore mansion was set for 5 people and it looks like Rory is having a building named after her "The Rory Gilmore Astronomy Building".
- The Ausiello Report - was pulled Team Palladino have not signed yet but may still.
- There are more unconfirmed reports that Lorelai does NOT sleep with Chris in the season final. In fact Lorelai may be on the edge of a nervous break down and goes to Chris in a very bad way, after a not very good day, which probably includes the break up with Luke.
- Ausiello says that just because they are in bed does not mean they had sex. - TV Guide PodCast.
- Also there in the article it is reported that LG and AB might want to be back for season 8. - Yahoo.
- The episode takes place the night before Logan is to go to London for a year to work for his dad, Rory gets a chance to confront Mitchum. There is a party at the elder Gilmore house and a surprise guest, Lorelai finally confronts Luke about their relationship.- EW- SpoilerFix
- Lorelai wakes up in Chris's bed and realizes what she has done. - Sides
- Neil Young discovers the troubadour (Grant Lee Phillips) so the town recruits a new troubadour. Gen-FF.
- According to ASP the finale has "Pow! Bang! Ouch!". - Ausiello Report-FF
- The season might end up bad for Luke and Lorelai, they DO NOT end the season together. - genki-FF
- Rory and Logan have a possible cliffhanger marriage - genki-FF
- Gilmore Girls recruits new troubadours - Gen-FF
- Rumour has it that Amy is planning to have Luke and Lorelai broken up for half of season 7 but this could change depending on the ratings for the end on season 6. The break up could include Chris and G.G. getting closer to Lorelai as a family and part of the A storyline. This plan could change if the end of the season ratings are low, bringing them back together before the winter mid season break. - Unnamed source
Updates April 21st, 2006 - I think the episode is set on June 3rd, Lorelai ask Luke to elope or not put off the wedding any longer and Luke may turn her down, which leads to the break up and Lorelai ending up in Chris's bed. Lorelai is still avoiding Luke.
Well I don't know what to think. Rory said guys can be dumb, well I think the same goes for the Girls sometimes also.
NEW - From the SpoilerFix - Entertainment Weekly info, Chris is the surprise guest in my opinion, he helps Lorelai see the light, to confront Luke about their relationship. Now going by the sides and Lorelai waking up in Chris's bed I don't think it goes well.
All I can hope happened, which does not make it any better or right is Luke broke it off from Lorelai, maybe he already thinks she slept with Chris and does not trust her. So she goes to Chris for comfort and things happen, Lorelai wakes up the next morning and realizes what she has done is a big mistake.
Looking at the revised sides, most of the episodes apart from the last scene is set in one day. The final scene and at least the one before are day 2 morning. Now this could mean it the day after the day 1 stuff or just the second day. scripts don't have to run days directly after one another. For example day 1 can be Monday and day 2 could be Wednesday, and is names day 2 because nothing happened in the script on Tuesday. If that makes sense.
Now in this case it's my opinion that day two is the next morning, Chris is at the elder Gilmore house for some event or party. Something happens and Lorelai ends up back at his apartment. We have a last scene with Lorelai waking up in Chris's bed. Now we also have at least one scene before at the same time. I think this could be Luke waking up alone at the apartment. We also might have a scene of Rory and Logan and what they are doing.
In my opinion they are setting up for a repeat of the Say Something episode, in a way. Lorelai will break up from Luke, He won't want this, he is doing every thing right, he is asking Lorelai if everything is okay and each time Lorelai says yes, Luke can not fix a problem if he doesn't know there is one. He is still in love with Lorelai and is blinded by the fact he is a father and loves it more than he could ever think. For the end of the season Luke will be the good guy and Lorelai no so much. Even if she doesn't have sex with Chris it is still bad that she is in his bed.
Episode 19 with Lorelai passing out drunk may not be a one off and could happen in the final, after the bad talk with Luke she goes to Chris and again passes out drunk. Waking up the next morning dresses, which could be the reason for not wearing her night gown.
I also noticed that the script is short, only 71 pages when they normally run 80-85. Below is pure speculation for what might happen if the season does not end with Lorelai in Chris's bed.
- Lorelai wakes up gathers her things quickly, gets dressed and leaves Chris after a small fight, I can't believe this happened.
- She goes to find Luke, since they had a fight she goes to the diner because that's where he would be, its early morning so its not open and on one else is around. She used the key above the door to get in.
- Luke appears from the kitchen getting things ready to open, they start to talk about what went wrong. They're having a nice talk when
- Anna comes from behind the curtain, to the apartment wearing nothing but one of Lukes flannel shirts. Anna and April had spent the night because by the time they had finished with the Troubadour thing it was late. Luke was a gentleman and slept on the couch while Anna and April took the bed, nothing happened. But Lorelai does not know this.
- We end the season with Luke and Lorelai looking at each other, Lorelai thinking Luke and Anna were a couple.
The sides for this episode are below.
Sides - if below does not work.
The links to the PDF files may not work, Now Casting moves the files after a set time.