6.07 - Twenty-One is The Loneliest Number (116) (10.25.2005)
Title: Twenty-One Is The Loneliest Number
Air Date: October 25, 2005
Written by: Amy Sherman-Palladino
Directed by: Robert Berlinger
Episode Description from TV Guide:
"Twenty-One Is The Loneliest Number" - (TV-PG, D, L) (HDTV)
Tuesday , October 25 2005 Original
8:00 - 9:00 PM ET
RORY'S TWENTY-FIRST BIRTHDAY/FORMER SECRETARY OF STATE MADELEINE ALBRIGHT APPEARS IN A CAMEO ROLE - As Rory's (Alexis Bledel) twenty-first birthday approaches, both Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory are saddened by the fact that their ongoing estrangement will keep them from spending the day the way they had always planned. Richard (Edward Herrmann) tries to convince Lorelai to help him with a plan to get Rory back to Yale, but Lorelai insists that Rory has to make the decision herself. While Richard continues to worry about Rory's future, Emily (Kelly Bishop) throws herself into planning an elaborate birthday party. Meanwhile, Emily and Richard are shocked when they realize that Rory and Logan (Matt Czuchry) have been having sex. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright appears in a cameo role. Melissa McCarthy, Scott Patterson, Keiko Agena and Liza Weil also star. Bob Berlinger directed the episode written by Amy Sherman-Palladino
- Emily and Richard arrange Reverend Boatright to talk to Rory about her virtue and she informs him that is has sailed and is probably in Fiji.
- At 4:03 in the morning of Rory's Birthday both Lorelai and Rory lie in there respective beds looking at the clock.
- Lorelai is sleeping in the lounge room of the CS.
- Lorelai and Luke are at Rory's 21st birthday party and the Gilmore mansion.
- Lane, Zach, Paris and Doyle are there also, Lane has never been to the house before.
- Richard is in his office for most of the evening and Emily is annoyed at something.
- Rory has a drink named after herself and soaps in the guests bathroom with her face on them.
- Luke gives Rory a necklace which was his mothers, she introduces Luke as her soon-to-be stepfather, this is the first time she has heard this from Rory and is surprised.
- Lorelai doesn't like that the martini glasses are being used for other drinks.
- There is a sushi bar in the dinning room and Luke tries some.
- Luke has a joke about not knowing what the DAR is, everyone loves it.
- Ausiello: Team Palladino is thisclose to signing former Secretary of State Madeline Albright to appear in this season's seventh episode. "I'm not going to tell you what she's going to do," teases Amy, "but she is going to play herself." Madame Secretary best not be playing Dragonfly Inn Guest No. 1, 'cause that number's already taken..From Ask Ausiello.
- Madeline Albright will as surprise guest at Rorys 21st birthday party. Albright is an idol of Rorys!
Updated October 23rd, 2005 - Lots of sides! With the Madeline Albright thing, At first I thought she would only be there for an interview for the Yale newspaper by Paris, but now we know she is a surprise guest at Rorys 21st birthday party. Albright is an idol of Rorys! She also has a dream sequance with Rory in her bed at her mothers house, it looks like she wakes up just before 4:03 on the date of her birth.
I think Emily and Richard find out about the engagement early in the episode. They way Emily is looking at the ring it looks like it's the first time she's seen it.
The sides are out but no link is available, but a recap of them can be found here, here and here.